Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fighting in tolerance


As many of you may know, a Harps grocery store in Arkansas placed this "family shield" over the cover of this week's US Weekly because the cover protrayed Elton John, his partner David Furnish and their new son. I have two issues with this situation (as I understand it).
One...
Please, please let me role model the way and raise a child who sees past race, religion and sexual orientation. Please let me always demonstrate a respect for humanity and demonstrate that opinions about others should be based upon that person's character and intergrity. Last night's post was about my desire for Samantha to find a love that will cherish and adore her just as she is. I should have specified that it DOES NOT matter to me if that love is with another woman. Love is love. (Again, she's two and I'm not trying to marry her off quite yet...). As I journey through parenthood, truly one of my top goals is to raise a child who is non-judgemental, appreciative of all others and embraces all the world and world's people have to offer. Had I grown up hating people who were different than me I would have missed out on a whole lot of positive and powerful relationships in my life.
Two...
This photo was leaked by an upset customer at the grocery store. She tweeked it to a number of celebrities including Anderson Cooper (love him!), Ellen DeGeneres (love, love her!) and Kathy Griffin (super, duper love that crazy b-tch!) asking for their help to bring attention to this matter. She was rightful horrified and shocked at this unfortuate display. Here's my issue though...this customer didn't go to the store manager or Harps corporate office to first try to resolve the matter. I certainly agree that this should have been brought to light and handled but sometimes you can actual resolve things by talking directly to people. *SIGH* Everyday I deal with young adults who have no idea how to positively confront someone face to face and rationally discuss their opinions, why they are upset with each other and mutually resolve their challenge or disagreement. Instead they bash each other on facebook, on the bathroom walls of the local bars and behind each other's back. Had this customer confront the store manager and corporate office and nothing was resolved - absolutely, send it to that silver haired fox Andy Cooper! But before you do that - consider working within the system. You might be surprised and the matter may be resolved.
Injustice and intolerance must be confronted head on and at full force. Thank you Harp's customer for taking a stand! Most people won't and will just ignore it. I may not agree with your approach but I appreciate that you fought for humanity. And at least for a moment humanity won!

1 comment:

  1. You know, your a really good writer Angel. I want to be on your team. Happiness & respect is all one can wish, hope and pray for.

    ReplyDelete