Monday, January 24, 2011

The beginning...

So, here it is - my first blog entry! I've been thinking about doing a blog for quite a while now, however, I recently read an article about women who blogged to help with their weight lose battles and had quite a bit of success. My blog will not be entirely about weight loss but rather my journey to become the best possible Angel McAdams Prescott. Yes, weight loss is part of my journey but within the last six months I've just come to the realization that there are several areas in my life I have just let slip by without striving for greatness. It's amazing how we just let ourselves settle.

Now, I have been on these crusuades before where I have focused all my time and energy on being perfect. Being the perfect wife, the perfect parent, looking perfect, being perfect for everyone around me. Frankly, it's exhausting! And, I can only manage that level of perfection for a short time before a have a complete meltdown. This idea for perfection actually come to an aburpt hult almost four years ago. My 2 & 1/2 month old daughter passed away of SIDS. Lossing a child is the most devastating thing that can happen to a parent. The reality that life is not perfect really slapped me in the face and from that day (June 8, 2007) until June 2010 I actually stopped caring about myself. I no longer strove for perfection but the reality was I didn't strive for anything. I was really letting life pass me by and I wasn't taking full control of my destiny.

Sometime in early June (I usually just tell people June 1 but I don't remember the date), I stepped on the scale and say a number that I never imagined I would see. It was heartbreaking and I was horrified. I remember looking at myself in the mirror and not understanding why I didn't care enough about myself to stop. Literally, something in me snapped and I said enough was enough. Here's me in September 2009 weighing alot(pic on the right)! The sad thing is that I probably gained another 10-15 pounds from this date until June 2010. So what was the number? I've debated back and forth worth or not to post it. As I'm fully shamed that I let my weight get so out of control there is an embassment I do feel. I'm not ready to share it yet, but I will share that since June I have lost 63 pounds (the pic on the left)!

Many people have asked me how I have done it. Again, a secret I didn't share with a lot of people. It's amazing how guilty your weight really makes you feel. Well, I did lose the first 45-50 pounds by using HcG. It is an over-the-counter product that greatly restricts your calorie intake a day - 500 calories a day! Yes, 500 and no, it's not fun! It did work for me though but I haven't been using the product regularly for some time. The key, as with any change, is that you can't go back. If I go back, I will gain it all back. HcG is not the final answer for me. It simply was a jumping off point that got me motivated and got me feeling better. Now, I am a path to continue my journey eating more healthy and moving more.

But as I said this blog is not only about my weight loss - it's really about my desire to be great in as many aspects of my life as possible. My family, the relationship with my husband, my parenting skills to my 2 year old, my career and my hobbies and passions are just a few of the areas I plan to work on.
I've come to realize that there is a very distict difference between perfection and greatness. Perfection is impossible! Because life is not perfect, the people around us aren't always perfect, the factors that effect our lives are not always perfect. At this point in my life, I just want to be the best possible me.
I'm not sure if anyone will follow my blog but if you do, thanks in advance for coming along on this journey. I'm sure that it won't always be pretty (or perfect) but I'm ready to take it on full force and with all I got!

3 comments:

  1. Yahoo! Welcome to blog world! As a blogger I know that comments are a great boost to the post. I am proud of you alot...not just for trying to be healthy but for being an amazing woman during/through all the things that have happened in your life.
    Looking forward to reading tons of posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel, awesome! I've considered starting a blog myself, more so as a journal of my journey.

    Congratulations on all of the progress that you've made since June.

    As a motivator for you, yesterday Sunday, Jan. 23 was my 4 year anniversary when I started my weighloss journey/healthier life. I've not yet reached my goal but am living a better healthier life than I was 4 years ago, and will continue on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel, we don't know each other, at least we haven't met face to face, but I feel like I know a little about you from Maasen, and from having a shared experience of having children leave so unexpectedly. I don't really know what to say, but I am hopeful for you on this journey to being "better". Your story is a valuable one that needs to be told and I look forward to hearing more of it.

    Blessings.
    Leah, Maasen's roommate.

    ReplyDelete