Thursday, February 3, 2011

Financial freedom...

Notorious B.I.G. certainly said it best when he said "mo' money, mo' problems." The Prescott's are currently working on our financial freedom and frankly - it sucks! Tonight, I was tired and totally didn't want to cook. I called my other half and suggested Burger King (please spare the fast food lecture right now. Their fish sandwich is TASTY!). I was quickly denied and reminded of our limited funds and the thaw steaks waiting at home. Now, we could have eaten out but it would have meant less grocery money for this weekend. *Sigh*

Ten year's ago, I started my first grown up job and was barely making $21,000 a year. But goodness those were easier times. The first year Sean & I lived together (2003) and we had a combined income - yep, I'm making more than that by myself these days. Holy crap, where does it all go!?!? Back then, I drove a old clunker, lived in a rental house and didn't add up my grocery list as I walked through the store.

I sometimes I think back to those days with longing. I'm sure at the time I dwelled on how broke we were but hind sights 20/20 and the grass sure always looks greener on the other side. We certainly don't live out of our means (we have a modest home, a '07 Kia and a PAID FOR '96 Taurus) but it all seems to go so fast. Looking over our monthly budget, I guess it's not really fair to say it goes so quickly, as opposed to we now can afford some luxuries like life insurance, retirement, savings and dental coverage. But, aaaahhhh....the days when I didn't care about those things.

The biggest obstacle in our financial freedom plan right now is our $1000 emergency fund. (Thank you, Dave Ramsey!) As many of you may know, Sean lost his job in the summer of 2009 - six months after we bought our home. Thank goodness for our savings because it helped us make it through the 16 months that followed as he got his MBA. But working to replenish that savings account is hard, hard work! And really, who wants to put money in their savings account instead of going to get their hair done - certainly not this girl! Sista needs her roots done!! And really wishes she could get a pedicure. (Again, please spare me any lectures about "at home" beauty maintenance. I like being pampered and am perfectly okay with saying that out loud!)

I certainly know what we are doing is for the best (in the long run) but for now I'm really wishing I got that Fish Sandwich earlier tonight! I'm blaming Dave for my unhappiness...

2 comments:

  1. We've had a lot of success using the Dave Ramsey system. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what the Dave Ramey system is, but the experts say that we should pay ourself 10% off net pay. 5% is better than 0%. And have a 6 month emergincy fund. That can be hard. Anything that you can have automaticlly taken out before you see it does help. Benifits are great and a good thing to have. But when you have your heart set on a BK Big Fish, yum, having to cook dinner just isn't the same. Keep up the savings.

    ReplyDelete